Sunday, April 26, 2015

AN ELEMENT OF INTERACTIVITY


Underlining


   In the activity for indicating preference for interactivity with text marking, I have tried several and I rest with the more traditional underlining as my favorite perhaps because the pen in my hand is the most convenient tool because it is in fact in my hand when it occurs to me that I would like to mark the text. While my preference is simplistic, it does serve me well. Reviews text marking and seems to favor highlighting (Yue, Storm, Kornell, & Bjork, 2014).  While the support identified in the study is valid, it is the matter of inconvenience in not only remembering, but in carrying then locating the additional tools that takes them out of the running for me. I may make additional marks to my standard underline, but the underline is the ‘go to’ interactivity for me. The importance for me in being interactive with the material that I read varies. Some text I mark because I need to reference it later for study purposes such as exams or assignments while others may be for something that simply interests me because it is fascinating or even appalling. Still other times, underlining is important for noting things that I may need to include as points in a paper, a project, or for a speech. Last, while it is not easy to admit, I mark words that I do not understand or that I cannot pronounce so that I may check on them later and use it to improve my vocabulary (McCabe, 2007).


References:

Yue, C. L., Storm, B. C., Kornell, N., & Bjork, E. L. (2014). Highlighting and Its Relation to Distributed Study and Students’ Metacognitive Beliefs. Educational Psychology Review, 1-10.

McCabe, D. (2007). The Teaching of Reading: A Continuum from Kindergarten Through College. AVKO Educational Research Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment